Sunday, January 31, 2010

In the beginning

Every story has to start somewhere, so I will start at the time I first realized I was out of my "maintenance free decades." On the eve of my 40th birthday I was in solo family practice in the small town of Montgomery, MN working 80-100 hours per week ( about 100% more than anyone ought to work), eating about 100% more calories than anyone ought to eat, and exercising well.... not at all! I had never been much on sports, was always glad gym was pass-fail, and really had not given exercise much thought since high school. Consequently my weight was 220 pounds which gave me BMI of about 33.7 if I counted myself as 5'8", literally a stretch!

In this condition, the day before my birthday I decided it would be a good time to clean up the garden to get it ready for winter. I felt tired but OK after spending about 4 hours in the garden. OK that is until the next morning. When I woke my first thought was: "If this is 40, I'll never make 50!" Every muscle in my body hurt, and I could barely make it down the stairs. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

The full extend of my decline was evident later when I was consulted by an 85 year old women who's chief complaint was "every time I spend 5 hours or more in the garden my back hurts a little."

And so the story begins.....

No comments:

Post a Comment